Sunday, October 10, 2010

Great Grandpa and Great Grandma Gardas

 This blog is all for you kids, but this one is directly to you. This post is to you kids as I am going to tell you some information that I learned about your Great Grandpa and Grandma Gardas' special wedding day. We went to their 60th wedding anniversary party today. 60 years!? Can you believe it?! You all were so good at the party and you had so much fun playing in the park with all the cousins. Great Grandpa told you, Grace, that you were such a beautiful little girl as he does every time. You replied this time, "I know." Daddy talked to you on the way home about compliments and how you should respond politely...:) Joseph many people thought you were growing up to be such a big boy. Many people said what a nice little boy you were. You had fun running around the park. Great Grandma showed you all the skating rink by the park where Daddy learned to be a skater when he was a little boy. You asked if she watched him(Daddy) skate and she said oh yes she did!  Livy you were so excited to play and kept requesting "underdogs" while swinging on the swing. The bigger cousins couldn't believe that out of all the kids you stayed on the merry go round the longest! All the other kids got knocked off, jumped off and just you remained and wanted to keep going! Emily you stayed attached like velcro on Mommy's leg. You played out in the sand for awhile but for the most part you wanted Mommy as usual!  Everyone enjoyed looking at you and trying to figure out who you looked like.
Ok, now onto the information about Great gpa and gma. They were married on September 30th, 1950. Oh, I forgot to find out the church...I know it was a Catholic church probably in New Brighton...they got married at 9:00am on that day and could not eat that day until they took Communion as it was a Catholic wedding. I looked at their photo album and it was so neat to see all the pictures that were taken that day. She said they bought it for $125 and had to be put on a payment plan until they could pay it off. They had 2 pictures in which were color, one of the bride and one of their hands and her flowers as that was all they could afford as colored pictures were expensive. They had the wedding and then went to the hall where a sit down brunch was served. They had chicken and gravy over biscuits. When lunch was done around 1 or so everyone dispersed. Gma and Gpa went to Como Park to get their pictures taken. They went back to the hall at around 5 or 6 where a formal dinner was served. At 8:00 the dance begun. People got different invitations for whichever part of the wedding they were invited to. A brunch card, a dinner card or a dance card. I couldn't believe it was all day! What a long day! :) I asked if they went on a honeymoon and she said they had to wait ten days before they could go on their honeymoon...because there was a crop of cabbages that Gpa had! He waited until that crop was ready, harvested it and then they went on their honeymoon! They went to her brother's house in Michigan. I know Daddy and I have asked them what their advice is on having a long marriage and Great Grandpa told us to never go to bed angry, to work things out until they are solved.
I wish I could have asked all of your great grandparents about their wedding days. I wish I could tell you more about them than I do know. I believe you have to respect your elders and appreciate who they are in your lives. They have so much to offer you in life and are a world of information and knowledge.  Their stories and history make up your family history whether it's good or bad. Hopefully Mimi and Papa will write their stories down or Grandpa and Grandma will tell us about things that happened in their lifetimes. I have found if you want to know the information, it's important that you ask. It's important to know the details as that's what made them the important people they are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment